Here is an introduction to upcoming technology, which is set of standards, developed by the wireless standards body 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), for providing IP based multimedia services including IP telephony.
It creates new opportunities for operators who want to deliver attractive, easy-to-use, reliable and profitable multimedia services – including voice, pictures, text and video, or any combination of these – with existing services.
IMS addresses key issues such as convergence, service creation and delivery, service interconnection and open standards.
Access-Independent: it is open standardized way to deliver IP-based consumer and enterprise services, enabled by one common core and control, to the fixed, mobile and cable communities.
When implemented according to agreed standards, IMS enables operators to mix and match equipment and applications from multiple vendors, and enables mobile users to access their personal set of services wherever they roam, whichever operator network they are connected to.
IMS includes the tools and functions needed to handle numerous non-standardized services in a standardized way – ensuring the interoperability, access awareness, policy support, charging, security and quality of service functionality required to meet consumer demand for attractive and convenient offerings.
IMS is not intended to standardize applications, but rather to aid the access of multimedia and voice applications from wireless and wireline terminals. This is done by having a horizontal control layer that isolates the access network from the service layer.
• All services, such as voice, video, SMS, conferencing, IPTV etc. will be available on the device being used. This will provide user with rich media experience.
• Safe and secure communication.
• The users will be able to personalize their communication need, such as preferred medium of communication depending on, who is calling etc.
• The use of Internet technologies will allow a seamless communication irrespective of user’s location and the platform of communication
Service Providers Benefits:-
• Use of IP backbone by IMS will provide an optimized transport and coding.
• IMS provides a common standardized platform with reusable components for development of new services. This will reduce development time and allow roll out of new multimedia services quickly, as per the market requirement.
• Quality of service (QoS) has been as issue with IP services. The IMS has been designed keeping in mind quality of service (QoS) requirement, so that the guaranteed bandwidth requirement can be met.
• IMS allow flexibility in charging users as per the services utilized by them.
• The open standards used by IMS allow inter-networking and interoperability between various service providers. This enables them to provide seamless communication to user irrespective of network he is in and the device he is using.
• The open architecture, available common services and converged IP backbone will reduce system complexity, thereby bringing down the CapEx and OpEx for the operators.
• The IMS design has been done keeping in mind operators & allows operators to deploy third party developers for developing application without losing the control of their network.
Main Nodes of IMS System:-
The Call Session Control Function (CSCF) and the Home Subscription Server (HSS) are the essential nodes in the IMS system.
- The IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is the control signaling routed by the CSCF.
- The HSS provides the user profile database to manage user authentication and authorization for the subscribed services.
More Information will be Updated Soon....
Telecom Tigers Team